13 December 2012

Hawaii

Yum
My love of baking started slowly in college. The industrial co-op kitchen was pretty intimidating and I really had no idea how to cook. Looking back, it's a interesting logic to let someone who can't cook BAKE, but since this was not culinary school, I suppose there was a logic of a sort. Since nothing too complecated was demanded of us, I became I breakfast cook, just baking cakes the night before. When the co-op didn't have what I wanted, I went out and got jam.

Yeah, I deeply regret those years of culinary ignorance.....

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil or applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 tablespoon freshly gated ginger
1/2 cup Guava Jam

Frosting:
Tropical Cream Cheese


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour cake pan.
2. In large bowl, combine dry ingredients with oil and egg.
3. Break down jam in cereal bowl with fork or blend in blender. Set Aside.
4. Add orange extract and fold in fresh ginger and jam.
5. Drop batter in cake tin and bake 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment