28 December 2012

Cocktails At Intermission

Yum
Over the past several months an irksome trend in the food served in the theatre today has gradually come to my attention. At one venue my family has season tickets to, you can now bring drinks into the theatre. When this change first occurred, I thought nothing of it. It was only after my experience at the Nutcracker that I reevaluated it.
When I recently went to a production of the Nutcracker, one could buy and eat popcorn during the production and there was a grilled cheese bar. And candy is now as common in theaters as it is in cinemas.
At the risk of sounding WASPish, that is not what one eats in the theatre! I hear tales from those who know first hand that it used to be only the classiest libations and haute cuisine was served at the theatre.
It will be interesting to look at food served in certain venues throughout the centuries. I seem to recall that in the Shakespearian era, anyone could come to his plays, eat anything they wished or could don any attire.

No comments:

Post a Comment