13 December 2012

A Rant About Archives

Yum



This is the problem of digital archives. No file format lasts very long, there is a new version about every six months. So, you really have to be on your toes.

At the same time, people aren't just reminiscent about books, but things such as love letters. It is hard to stare at a computer screen for hours on end, and the fact that digital record formats are the cons of digital archives. Widened access is a big pro, but one has to balance this. Again, there is something to be said about holding a handwritten love letter in your hand.

My parents are moving so we've been cleaning out the downstairs. Since some members of our family have achieved pack-rat status, everything has been kept, such as all my homework from third grade and about 1,200 pictures, since said person was a professional photographer. However, one of the treasures found is this endless mess was a few love-letters from my dad to my mom.


What are we going to look back on when we clean out the house, most people don't print out love e-mails or love-chats? I suppose cards, although the sentiments in cards are usually short completions or expansions of want is already printed on the card. I imagine the feeling of looking back on past love without a material letter might be slightly akin to how I feel about not keeping a journal. I feel a bit sad when I realize I haven't taken a written account of my life, sorrowful that when I'm cleaning out the basement with my daughter, we won't laugh over events that happened or how I felt at a certain time. Sure, there would be many entities to be ashamed of, but in sure many more would be just happy memories. Like my first love. I did keep the texts for a while, but deleted them to not be staring at them every time I went to text someone. Thus, these reminders can be damaging to look at first, but years from now, it would put a smile on my face to see the text 'Love you too,' and remember what that meant to me, even if it was just my first lovescapde.

I'm sure many people feel this way. There's also the nature of writing as compared to a short e-mail or chat, which can't be matched. Every so often, I like writing as if I were one of Jane Austin's characters, in the eloquent and flowery language that we  so sparingly these days. Therefore, I am not suggesting that letters from our generation would be liberal with the English language and varied in their vocabulary as letters of old, but at least we tend not to use 'your' when hand writing something. Wouldn't it be sad if internet abbreviations were the contractions of the future?

I read an article about the disappearance of books and bookstores. Most people tend to be content with kindles, except when it comes to their kids. Some kindle fanatics agree that kids should learn to read from good old hard or soft cover books instead of staring at a computer screen. So, children’s books should survive, at least for a while.

Many people also simply love the feel of a book in their hand. A book still does what electronic readers can’t do. It’s portable and will never run out of power, doesn’t hurt your eyes, and keeps you warm if you have to burn it. Well, there’s something to be said about feeling the pages of a book as you turn them and, if you’re like me, the grace they’re made with.

However, grace really applies to old books. I love old books because they usually have hard covers, have that antiquated from the text that is used and depending on how old they are, are works of art. That is why a few companies have started making books the way of days gone by, perhaps even to the point of copying them by hand or painting some of the pages.

I think this is an awesome plan. Being trained as an archaeologists, I love old things. Matter of fact, growing up partially in Europe, I have always loved old ruins and medieval castles. So, I love the intricate detail of the works of art that are medieval books. In addition since I am in the midst of my archival training, I love old books because they are made to endure, unlike modern flimsy soft-backs, which can easily fall apart.

So, books are influential, archives are important, archeology is awesome, and we are still struggling with what the rapid advances in technology mean for us and the future.
It's really unfortunate that books are going by the wayside. While they are not disappearing as rapidly as other media, many bookstores are closing or carrying many products other than books. While Borders has had to close its doors, Barnes and Noble is still alive, adding to its inventory an electronic reader, more nostalgic memorabilia and an increasing number of games.

No comments:

Post a Comment