26 November 2013

The Netherlands

Yum
Since some of my formative years were in Holland, I am very nostalgic about it. Plus, my "brother", best friend, and man of honor is there. Therefore, I was pretty ecstatic when I went to Holland about a month ago. Now, I love stroopwaffel, especially when they're hand-made, hot and fresh. But, I want to talk more about Pannekoek. Pannekoeok is a wonderfully adaptable Dutch pancake. Made of wheat flour and milk, its suitable for any topping. Like crepes, you can get breakfast, lunch or dinner Pannekoek. This versatile canvas is seen in a few countries, but not America. Our version of the pancake is only a breakfast item. Is it actually more of a cake than a blank canvas for sweet or savory. This interesting concept also speaks to the tendency of Americans to always have sweet things for breakfast, whereas the Dutch have meat and cheese. hm... How did that come about?

Also, I can find crepes here, but I cant find a pannekoek restaurant, I do have a feeling that Metin (my best friend) told me that pannekoek is tourist food. But, I want my pannekoek!

More importantly in a sense, is a whole cuisine. There are many Indonesian restaurants in Holland, but none here. We must correct this grievous error. And we must call it what it is, and not lump it in with Asian Food. In one of my earlier tweets, I mentioned that we usually don't say "European Food", but tell the exact country. However, we say "Asian Food" all the time. When I tweeted that we need to call Lao food Laotian, I got followed by a couple politically correct groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment