04 November 2013

Christmas presents!

Yum
I was seriously interested in canning for about a week. I still am somewhat, but I shouldn't start projects I don't finish. I still have a guitar I never played. Luckily my mom already had the SLR, but not the accessories. Through if it has to do with culinary, it might stick.

So, when I ordered my Ball jars, I'm sure my roommates rolled their eyes. BUT, never fear because I decided on a not-so daunting task. While talking about frugality with a friend, I decided I was just going to candy nuts for Christmas. That idea has been paired with something else:

A few days ago I went to buy some drinks. I got the stuff I wanted, but I thought I'd better use the vanilla vodka for more than one cocktail. I had apple schnapps at home, so...apple and vanilla..apple and..apple pie? But, I needed spice! I went to the local barkeep to learn how to infuse the vodka. He brought forth information that had been swimming in the further recesses of my brain and taught me some stuff I didn't know. So, I'm infusing vanilla vodka with cinnamon and nutmeg. It'll take two weeks, and then I'll mix with apple schnapps and apple cider.

The combo of these ideas lead to my resolve to candy nuts and infuse vodka for all my friends. I urge you to do the same.

Right now I am working from two candied nut recipes to candy walnuts, almonds and pecans. For almonds there's Cinnamon Roasted ones from Barbara Bakes (my original title of course) and of Pecans and walnuts Taste of Home. Now, the almonds are fine as is, but the pecans ans walnuts are going to be a bit sticky and if your gonna give them as presents, you should take them off the sheet, while their still hot, and toss them in some brown sugar. If you do wanna leave them alone on the first run, they're good for salads.

On the vodka front, I have made the nutmeg-cinnamon vodka and some Georgia vodka. Neither of these took two weeks.

(I've been reading Kitchen Confidential and thanks to watching No Reservation marathons, I hear Tony while I'm reading as well as while I'm writing this post.
Ti amo tony, anch'io ho trovato che una vita felice รจ piena di manipolare carne, formaggi e alcolici. Manipolarla al massimo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment