27 November 2013

Adulting

Yum
ERGGGGH! WHY do I still have this struggle with planning and time management! Well.. I'm pretty stubborn because I have been told on countless occasions that I NEED to put things in my calendar because if I don't, I'll forget. And I say that I won't, and most of the time I don't. But, when I do forget there's a big fire lit under me and I keep a calendar for about two weeks. And then I go back to not keeping track again.There have also been many times when there is no crisis and I vow to plan, still doesn't work.
However, we have spent all day cooking and right now I feel inspired to just learn planning and time management though the things I love. I wrote about this once before and was not sure whether to go back and fix that post or do a new post. Anyway, you know when you cook, when professionals cook, especially a complicated recipe, you need to have everything in place? You should have all the ingredients out, measured and ready-to-go. This step, like all planning in life, (at least to me), almost always feels like a waste of time. BUT ITS NOT.

I was just making a very complicated cake. Even though I think everything turned out fine, it was stressful to always have to leave the food to go look at the recipe for measurements and to make sure I didn't forget anything.I also had to have a pen to cross off ingredients. So, read the recipe beforehand, measure out all ingredients in order and have fun cooking
.
The reason this might be to rationalizing that gets these habits to stick? ITS SHORT-TERM. I, and my fellow ADDers, have problems with long-term goals. So try this. Hopefully it'll spill over to other facets of life. Habitually reading recipes before doing anything might help get you into the habit of  reading directions in a manual before you do anything, reading through anything before you sign, give an opinion or ask questions. Don't look foolish when you go into a job interview and ask a question that's answered on the About page of their company. And putting out and measuring ingredients beforehand can lead to both laying your clothes out the night before or writing down your resources for a problem you're having. Crossing off ingredients gets you to cross off items on your list that you've already done. Cooking has been a great help in many parts of my daily life. Hope it inspires you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment